After last summer being particularly rainy and this winter being so cold and long, I couldn't be more excited for summer weather. I'm hoping for a sweltering, humid season where I constantly yearn for pool time and can boil an egg on the sidewalk (not that I've actually done that. But I want the option.).
Once the heat index hits 90, I'm officially kick-starting my summer bucket list. Here are my 14 to dos for Summer 14...
- Shoot the Hooch. Last year we planned to do it twice and both times it got rained out. I ca.nn.ot wait. √ Done!
- Stay in this Intown Treehouse. Ah, life en plein air. Chris and I stayed here this past weekend (I know, I totally jumped the gun on the summer portion of the bucket list by already checking it off). You won't be disappointed. √ Done!
- Go boating on one of Georgia's many lakes. One day I will have a lake house of my own, but until then, you can find me posted up on someone's dock. See you soon, Lake Lanier.√ Done!
- Make s'mores. Anyone have gluten free graham crackers? I'm going to need to purchase ASAP and get my bon[fire] on.
- See a movie at the Starlight Drive-in. I've never been to a drive-in and I think it's high time I put my popcorn maker to use and hop to it.
- Go to a concert at Aaron's Amphitheater or Chastain Park. Summer ain't summer without an outdoor concert. I'm gunning for country music. √ Done!
- Grow my own vegetables. After joining a CSA last fall, I realized there were so many perks to having locally grown, pesticide-free veggies. Why not try my hand at farming? Atlanta Botanical Gardens offers free consulting from their Plant Hotline, too.
- Go to a Braves game. I've got to bid the Ted farewell before they leave the city. √ Done!
- Go berry picking in McDonough. And make a pie!
- Get a hammock for our backyard. And read in it all the time.
- Make homemade ice cream. And have sundaes on a Sunday.
- Go to Screen on the Green (or Flicks on Fifth or Chastain Summer Movie Series. Whichever one is happening this summer).
- Try Morelli's ice cream. And basically eat as much ice cream as possible.
- Go to Shaky Knees. Hello Lone Bellow! Update: Not quite possible this year!
(A few other things that deserve honorable mention but I've already done plenty and/or have a conflict:
- Run the Peachtree Road Race on the Fourth of July, of course.
- Spend an afternoon at Sweet Water Brewery
- Go to the Virginia Highland Summerfest
- Spend a morning at the Goat Farm
- Eat King of Pops all the time
- Go to as many of the gajillions of amazing festivals and farmers' markets Atlanta has to offer as possible.)
Happy summering Atlantans!