an atlanta weekend: full of places and people I love

Last weekend the forecast said rain, rain, rain. But the days rolled on through - sunny and beautiful for every minute, which was absolutely perfect, because my mom was in town and we had a lot to do!

Thursday night, Chris and I kick started the weekend with a date to the Dekalb Farmers' Market (Bucket List #105). He'd never been and it's kind of the equivalent of Disney World to me - so it was high time we took a trip.  

We bought tuna, asparagus, purple potatoes and wine and went back to my house to cook&feast. It was such a good dinner and I'm always blown away by the freshness and price of the market. 

For dessert I made this cookie cake, which was insanely tasty. If you're in the baking mood, bake it ASAP :)

Friday morning, I worked and then took the afternoon off so Duke, Sam and I could head to the airport to get my mom. From there, we hit the ground running with a walk in the Morningside Nature Preserve near our house and a night on the Westside. We ate dinner at Bartaco, walked around Westside Provisions and played cards at our house with Melly and Chris. 

Saturday morning, we had coffee at Octane and went on a mission to find the Bellwood Quarry. I recently added it to my Atlanta Bucket List after Sam saw it named as "something you need to do in Atlanta but might not know about." It sits between Bankhead and the Westside and, as it turns out, does not want to be found.

To simply enter the property, we found an abandoned road, which was blockaded by a barbed-wire fence. My mom and I climbed around and my brothers went over - navigating broken glass and the wire. After that, we hiked for about an hour - through an odd mix of city trash, abandoned buildings, fields and nature so pure you'll forget you're anywhere near Atlanta. That is, until you turn the corner and see the skyline. 

Had I been alone, I'd have quit a lot sooner. But with my mom and brothers alongside, we were all determined to get to the quarry. 

Upon arrival, we realized it was absolutely worth the work. The quarry was gorgeous - I wish the pictures did it justice. Sitting below hundreds of feet of rock walls, the calcite-rich blue and teal water was majestic. 

After we left the quarry, we returned home to shower off burrs, bugs and some poison ivy. And then, we all agreed it was time to feast. 

We headed over to Souper Jenny for lunch, then did some boy friendly shopping, which culminated at the Home Depot, where we bought a ton of plants because my brothers are slowly becoming horticulturalists.

Saturday night, we got carry out from Yeah Burger and played at my house - rearranging furniture and trying to mix up our sun room.

Sunday, we got up early for breakfast before the crowd at Highland Bakery and hiked at Lullwater. After that, my mom and I did some non-boy-friendly shopping, then thrifted with them in the afternoon. Sunday night, we went to church (showed my mom Grace Midtown for the first time!) and then had dinner at Whole Foods. 

Monday morning, we got coffee & breakfast at Belly then took my mom to the airport. I kept thinking: didn't we JUST pick her up!? But now that I look back on all we did, I realize exactly why it felt like a whirlwind 48 hours! 

Thank you, mom, for an amazing weekend! Come back soon please!